As promised in my last blog, I will share the 10 foods/food groups to avoid on a ketogenic diet.
When evaluating food, a good rule of thumb is to limit any food that is high in carbs.
There are two simple ways to check the carb and other nutritional content.
- Simply evaluate the label. If there is no label, download the FREE app My Fitness Pal. You can
- Enter the meal/food in question into My Fitness Pal. Type in the name of the food to get a general sense of what the carb, sugar and other nutritional content is.
Here is a list of foods that need to be reduced or eliminated on a ketogenic diet:
- Sugary foods: Soda, fruit juice, smoothies, cake, ice cream, candy, etc.
- Grains or starches: Wheat-based products, rice, pasta, cereal, etc.
- Fruit: All fruit, except small portions of berries like strawberries.
- Beans or legumes: Peas, kidney beans, lentils, chickpeas, etc.
- Root vegetables and tubers: Potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips, etc.
- Low-fat or diet products: These are highly processed and often high in carbs.
- Some condiments or sauces: These often contain sugar and unhealthy fat.
- Unhealthy fat: Limit your intake of processed vegetable oils, mayonnaise, etc.
- Alcohol: Due to its carb content, many alcoholic beverages can throw you out of ketosis.
- Sugar-free diet foods: These are often high in sugar alcohols, which can affect ketone levels in some cases. These foods also tend to be highly processed.
Are you ready to get started on your Ketogenic Diet? Download this FREE Keto Starter Guide to get you in the best shape possible this summer!