- Keep your carbs under 20g/day – That’s the whole idea behind this diet. Count every gram of carb to make it easy, download the My Fitness Pal app on Google Play or App Store; the app is FREE!
- 65% of your caloric intake should be from fat, 30% from protein, and 5% from carbs (up to 20g a day). Again, use you’re my Fitness Pal app to log your food.
- Watch for excess protein – Too much protein causes increased insulin, which causes reduced weight loss.
- No cheat days! The benefit of you going into Ketosis outweigh the reward of one cheat day, which will throw off the entire process off. (On average it takes 2-7 depending on your eating habits before starting.
- If what you are about to eat grew underground, triple check the carb count before eating. Many root veggies have lots of carbs, don’t get lulled into thinking that all veggies are safe.
- Drink plenty of water – The ketogenic diet will flush you out, you always need to rehydrate.
- Drink a cup of chicken broth a day for the first 2-3 weeks – When the water goes, so too go your electrolytes. The broth is a good way to keep up on some of your salt requirements, and it can do wonders with the “keto flu.”*
- Make sure to take pictures of your body from all angles. You will want these to compare in a month, two months and six months down the road when you are in the hottest shape of your life!
- BIG TIP: No exercise for the first two weeks unless you are already fit/an athlete – You know that conventional orthodox about exercise being essential for weight loss? It’s garbage. For the first few weeks of keto, your body is going to be going through enough changes. Be patience, if this is your first time there is no need to add any additional stress be patient. If you do exercise, you may find yourself not having the energy to finish. Don’t get discouraged. Just take it easy.
*The Keto Flu: Your body breaks down the extra glycogen in your liver and muscles, which releases a lot of water. Once that happens you will lose minerals such as salt and potassium and magnesium. This can make you feel fatigued and dizzy as if you have the flu. Don’t worry you will be fine!
This isn’t meant to scare you just be aware.
To learn more about the Keto Diet download your FREE Keto Starter Guide HERE!