Keep in mind, the Ketogenic diet calls for low-carbs and high-fat. These ratios will help you gauge how much amount of fat, protein and carbs you should consume. 65% of your caloric intake should be from fat, 30% from protein and 5% from carbs (up to 20g a day).
Quick Tip: Download the My Fitness Pal app to log your food.
Refer to the food list below for the best foods to eat to keep your body in ketosis.
You should base the majority of your meals around these foods:
- Meat: Red meat, steak, ham, sausage, turkey, bacon, turkey bacon and chicken.
- Fatty fish: Such as salmon, trout, tuna and mackerel.
- Eggs: Look for pastured or omega-3 whole eggs.
- Butter and cream: Look for grass-fed when possible.
- Cheese: Unprocessed cheese (cheddar, goat, cream, blue or mozzarella).
- Nuts and seeds: Almonds, walnuts, flaxseeds, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, etc.
- Healthy oils: Primarily extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil and avocado oil.
- Avocados: Whole avocados or freshly made guacamole.
- Low-carb veggies: Most green veggies, tomatoes, onions, peppers, etc.
I hope you find these foods helpful! If you are interested in starting your Ketogenic diet, download this FREE Keto Starter Guide.